Summertime means road trips! Before you hit the roads with your family, take a moment to review these helpful summer road trip tips. They will ensure a more pleasant experience for both you and your family.
Perform a Quick Auto Self Checkup
There’s nothing like a broken down vehicle to ruin your road trip fun. Before starting the long drive, there are a few things that you should check on your vehicle:
- Windshield Washer Fluid – Fill up your washer fluid tank to ensure you can see safely on the road in case of inclement weather.
- Engine Oil – If you are behind on your oil changes, now’s the time to get caught up. Be sure to also check your oil level and add oil as needed.
- Check Engine Lights – Don’t start a long drive with a lit check engine light. Have all issued addressed before leaving on your trip.
- Tires – Check tire pressure and replace any worn down treads.
Keep an Emergency Kit in Your Car
You never know what issues you may encounter on the road. Our summer road trip tips wouldn’t be complete without recommending an emergency kit. Here are some things you should include:
- Road flares or reflective hazard signs
- Jumper cables
- Blanket and/or warm clothes
- Matches or lighter
- Non-perishable food
Extra Safety Precautions
Safety is always important. As you plan your travels, be sure to notify family or close friends of your plans. This includes what routes you plan to take and timelines for reaching certain checkpoints. Check in regularly with your contacts. If they do not hear from you as scheduled and are unable to reach you during a reasonable amount of time, they may want to alert authorities. Time can make a big difference when it comes to dangerous situations and your survival.
Other Summer Road Trip Tips
These summer road trip tips are a just a few things to keep in mind. Remember that making sure that your vehicle is safe to drive long distances and that you are prepared for an emergency will go a long way. You may also want to check on your MA auto insurance policy and verify that it is up to date. We hope that you enjoy a wonderful summer filled with great road trips and new family memories to treasure!